A trick of religious faith is redefining words to mean things they don’t mean. For instance, “love” becomes something like “conditional acceptance based on obedience to the deity.” Justice becomes whatever the deity says and does. This defies basic norms of language and rationality, and words lose all meaning. The god gets a divine exemption from morality, by virtue of a “divine mystery” get out of jail free card.” But there is no mystery here: the god has committed crimes against humanity and uses clever word games as a cover-up to keep his followers blind to his injustices. The god does things that are the exact opposite of the definition of love and justice, like genocide, torture, slavery. Divine mystery is a way of justifying atrocities, and attempting to make sense of actions and ideas that are obviously wrong. This is the job of religious apologists and theologians: to defend the indefensible. They are forced to do this because they have to justify everything contained in their sacred writings, no matter how irrational. Simple appeals to common sense make such distortions obvious. You don’t need to live with this kind of cognitive dissonance (intellectual confusion and moral double standards) when you let go of this deity. The world will become simpler, freer, and less frightening.
Subscribe to Blog
- Christianity is a trauma reaction. It re-enacts the trauma of suffering through punishments of wrath and sin. Compassionate awareness is the key to healing this traumatized way of approaching life
- The Protestant work ethic is the mental illness of our time. Willpower is a function of having access to yourself. Real hard work is not really hard.
- Crimes of Emotion: Emotional Repression and Toxicity in Christian Fundamentalism
- My Relational Meditation
- My Psychiatric Drug Addiction
- Worry is our heart’s way of getting our attention
- Is perfection spiritual? Or is it a materialistic distraction that keeps us forever unsatisfied with what is
- Many leave religion simply because they are women
- The notion of sin is psychologically naïve. Psychologists help people heal by showing them they are not sinful
- I love money. And I’m done feeling bad about it