God and religion boil down to a lack of faith, faith in yourself and faith in humanity. The test of faith is choosing to believe in yourself and other people when bad experiences make you question goodness. When this happens, it’s tempting to run away from reality through fantasy instead of embracing pain. The real message of salvation is this: believe in yourself, believe in other people. You are good enough, you can do it. Salvation comes mostly from within. Outsourcing it to a god or person will create more problems down the road. You don’t need to be forgiven by anyone, but the precondition to freedom is forgiving and accepting yourself exactly as you are, and not allowing someone else’s actions to dictate your life. Life is not a battle of good versus evil. It’s a journey of growth. There are plenty of good people who will help you along the way. We’re all in this together, there’s no winning or losing side. Ultimately, there is no separation; everything is connected. Cooperation and connection benefit everyone, even those who can’t accept it. When we lose faith, we are tempted to rely on things that do not serve us. When we lose faith, we start seeing the world as a dark place and ourselves as dark. We look to fill that void with more darkness, more judgment and separation. Coming into the light means embracing everything; that’s what it means to be fully alive.
Subscribe to Blog
- Christianity is a trauma reaction. It re-enacts the trauma of suffering through punishments of wrath and sin. Compassionate awareness is the key to healing this traumatized way of approaching life
- The Protestant work ethic is the mental illness of our time. Willpower is a function of having access to yourself. Real hard work is not really hard.
- Crimes of Emotion: Emotional Repression and Toxicity in Christian Fundamentalism
- My Relational Meditation
- My Psychiatric Drug Addiction
- Worry is our heart’s way of getting our attention
- Is perfection spiritual? Or is it a materialistic distraction that keeps us forever unsatisfied with what is
- Many leave religion simply because they are women
- The notion of sin is psychologically naïve. Psychologists help people heal by showing them they are not sinful
- I love money. And I’m done feeling bad about it