God and religion boil down to a lack of faith, faith in yourself and faith in humanity. The test of faith is choosing to believe in yourself and other people when bad experiences make you question goodness. When this happens, it’s tempting to run away from reality through fantasy instead of embracing pain. The real message of salvation is this: believe in yourself, believe in other people. You are good enough, you can do it. Salvation comes mostly from within. Outsourcing it to a god or person will create more problems down the road. You don’t need to be forgiven by anyone, but the precondition to freedom is forgiving and accepting yourself exactly as you are, and not allowing someone else’s actions to dictate your life. Life is not a battle of good versus evil. It’s a journey of growth. There are plenty of good people who will help you along the way. We’re all in this together, there’s no winning or losing side. Ultimately, there is no separation; everything is connected. Cooperation and connection benefit everyone, even those who can’t accept it. When we lose faith, we are tempted to rely on things that do not serve us. When we lose faith, we start seeing the world as a dark place and ourselves as dark. We look to fill that void with more darkness, more judgment and separation. Coming into the light means embracing everything; that’s what it means to be fully alive.
Subscribe to Blog
- God Has A Narcissistic Personality Disorder
- Was the Bible Inspired by Dark Spiritual Forces? Why does God demand human sacrifice and spirit possession of his followers? Is God the Devil?
- Religion works like mental illness. It gets you by through dysfunction, and leaves you with painful psychological symptoms
- Christianity is Holy War. The Great Commission is Ideological Jihad. God’s Kingdom is a Regime of Violent Global Conquest. Liberal Christianities are Complicit.
- Finding Spirituality after Religion. The Spiritual Suppression and Imperialism of Christianity: Individually, Globally, and Historically.
- God is not loving. Love in God’s Kingdom is conditioned on obedience. Conditional love means I will accept you if you give me what I want
- Christianity is a trauma reaction. It re-enacts the trauma of suffering through punishments of wrath and sin. Compassionate awareness is the key to healing this traumatized way of approaching life
- The Protestant work ethic is the mental illness of our time. Willpower is a function of having access to yourself. Real hard work is not really hard.
- Crimes of Emotion: Emotional Repression and Toxicity in Christian Fundamentalism
- My Relational Meditation