I saw a vision of heaven. There was a sign at the entrance, “No suffering here.” There were little kids blowing bubbles, and the city was an enchanted castle reminiscent of a Disney set. Laughter and play were everywhere. I saw unicorns, sea horses, Pegasus, elephants, mermaids, and so many animals. Apparently heaven is filled with animals! Heaven is not a physical place. Heaven is an individualized experience. It is a state of mind we each carry within ourselves. We can tune into it any time. Heaven is a reminder that spirituality is not all about suffering. Suffering is not always spiritual. Sometimes the more spiritual thing to do is to transition suffering into pleasure. Suffering will show up sooner or later; we need not seek it out. Play, pleasure, and divine ecstasy are a part of being human. We need them to be alive and vibrant in our world. Return to pleasure, and the gates of heaven may open up to you.
Subscribe to Blog
- Religion works like mental illness. It gets you by through dysfunction, and leaves you with painful psychological symptoms
- Christianity is Holy War. The Great Commission is Ideological Jihad. God’s Kingdom is a Regime of Violent Global Conquest. Liberal Christianities are Complicit.
- Finding Spirituality after Religion. The Spiritual Suppression and Imperialism of Christianity: Individually, Globally, and Historically.
- God is not loving. Love in God’s Kingdom is conditioned on obedience. Conditional love means I will accept you if you give me what I want
- Christianity is a trauma reaction. It re-enacts the trauma of suffering through punishments of wrath and sin. Compassionate awareness is the key to healing this traumatized way of approaching life
- The Protestant work ethic is the mental illness of our time. Willpower is a function of having access to yourself. Real hard work is not really hard.
- Crimes of Emotion: Emotional Repression and Toxicity in Christian Fundamentalism
- My Relational Meditation
- My Psychiatric Drug Addiction
- Worry is our heart’s way of getting our attention